Pharmaceutical Machinery: Cartoning and Packaging
Pharmaceutical Cartoning and Packaging machinery is used to package products or components. Packaging machinery includes related machinery for sorting, counting, and accumulating. There are different types of package such as aerosol containers, bags and pouches, blister packs, bottles and jars, cartons and boxes, cans, capsules, cartridges, cases, cups and trays, drums, tubes, and vials.
There are many different types of packaging machinery. Common packaging machinery types include: accumulators, batching machinery, bagging machinery, sleever machinery, box making machinery, bundling machinery, capping machinery, Cartoning machinery, and closing machinery.
- Accumulators gather goods or items for processing.
- Batching machines prepare material for processing or packaging.
- Bagging machines place product in a bag, sack.
- Banding machines and sleeving machines secure products together with a band or sleeve.
- Box making machines build boxes from cardboard.
- Bundling machines form goods into piles for subsequent banding or wrapping.
- Capping machines place, snap, or screw caps onto containers.
- Cartoning machines create cartons or boxes from cardboard.
- Closing machines are designed to close packages with a tying wire, narrow metal strap or tape around the neck of the bag; by placing a lid on a can or drum; and closing a box or other type of package.
- Manual, semi-automatic, and automatic packaging machinery is commonly available. Product types include: cleaning machinery and sterilizing machinery, collating machinery, combining machinery, counting machinery, filling machinery, forming machinery, and inspection machinery. Form, fill and seal machinery is also available.
- Cleaning machines sanitize containers or packaging devices.
- Collating machines package or assemble product in proper numerical or logical order.
- Combining machines form containers into a single line for subsequent filling operations. Counting machines count products before, during or after a process.
- Decorating machines decorate packages.
- Erecting machines build packages such as cartons or boxes.
- Filling machines and packer machines fill bags, bottles, and cans with a predetermined volume of product.
- Forming machines are used to form containers or packages.
- Inspection machines review products for blemishes, leaks, consistency or types.
Blister Packaging Machine
- In pharmaceutical industry Blister Packaging Machines are used for the packing tablets, capsules, pills and other similar products packing.
- The packing process start with the capsules or tablets being loaded into a hopper and then into a feeder, which in turn can either be linear feeder or a brush box feeder depending on the shape of the product and also the material to be used.
- Heated rollers in the machine use different plastic films to form blisters that are subsequently filled with tablets.
- Some machines make use of aluminum foil to form blisters.
- Machines are manufactured according to the size, depth and material used to form blisters.
- After tablets have been inserted in the formed blisters, cavities are heat sealed using foil.
- Blister Sealing Machines are used to seal filled plastic blister to a piece of coated carton board, by heat. The blister is kept in the sealing die which has the same shape as that of the cavity. The cavities are then filled and sealed by a foil suing heat.
- Blister Trimming Machines are used for cutting, trimming the sealed blister or formed blister packs in individual pieces or bunch.
In pharmaceutical packaging, conveyors not only role as a “highway” system to coordinate product flow between machines, they can also maximize packaging line efficiency. Selecting and integrating the conveying system for pharmaceutical packaging environments requires careful and early consideration. Failure to give proper attention to the conveyor system can result in waste, excess costs, and higher cycle times. Conveyor mechanisms are used as components in automated distribution and warehousing. It is considered a labor saving system that allows large volumes to move rapidly through a process, allowing companies to ship or receive higher volumes with smaller storage space and with less labor expense.
Type of Conveyors
- Line Driven Conveyors
- Belt Driven Roller Conveyor
- Belt Driven Accumulating Conveyor
- V-Belt Driven Roller Conveyor
- Chain Driven Roller Conveyor
- Belt Conveyor
- Inclined Belt Conveyor
- Vertical Belt Conveyor
- The smooth, continuous surface of a conveyor belt is ideal for many product handling applications.
- A conveyor belt is used to transport or convey particles, raw materials or finished products from one place to another.
- It consists of two end pulleys which are powdered by a motor to move the material on the belt forward. Belt conveyors are widely used in agriculture, transport and manufacturing units.
- These conveying systems are more successful and popular commercially rather than local or personal purpose.
- A number of machines are equipped with the conveying belt systems for ease of movement of materials and finished products.
- Conveyor belt ensure high level of efficiency in transporting products.
- Belt Conveyor can convey a wide range of materials with little modifications which makes them important equipment widely used in many industries.